Thursday, June 26, 2008

SQW reports on Des Moines World Cup


Whitfield: Squandering an opportunity

Dave Leeder, today at 8:42 AM EDT

To be completely honest I just don't know how I feel about today's race here in Des Moines, Iowa.

In our sport you don't have many chances to race for a $200,000 first place prize and when it drops to $40,000 for second and eventually $12,500 for fifth you're simply left with that "if only" feeling. Especially when, in the history of our sport we've only had a handful of "the BIG checks" given out and I've been 2nd, 2nd, 5th and 6th..... Close but no cigar (and no mortgage helper).

I feel like I did race well today, I just simply didn't "take" the opportunity that was there. Having worked so hard on my swimming its been, quite frankly, fun standing on the start line with the attitude "I'll be first pack no matter what" (a change from days gone by where I stood on the line and just fought to keep the anxiety at bay)

more at the Globe and Mail

No comments:

Post a Comment